Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Ugly Sweater Run - Grand Rapids 2014 Recap

It’s not very often I run just for the fun of it, let alone pay for a run that isn’t timed.  So when I saw the Ugly Sweater Run was coming to Grand Rapids, I was dismissive at first.  

Usually, my son and I choose to participate in the Whoville Dash, but the cost is very high and we couldn’t run together, so I had to be sure to arrange for someone to watch him while I ran.  

I was bummed not to have a holiday run this year, and Cole has been showing even more interest in wanting to run with me, so I looked into the Ugly Sweater Run a bit more.  I am so glad I did!

After hunting through a few Goodwill stores to find some ugly Christmas sweaters, we eagerly awaited the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Knowing my son really hadn’t ‘trained’ for a 5K, I mentally prepared myself to have patience in abundance. 


 







Calder Plaza, smack downtown Grand Rapids, is the hosting venue for many outdoor events in the area, and the Ugly Sweater Run chose well to start and finish the race there.  Christmas music was pumping through loudspeakers and hot chocolate was flowing as participants lined up for pictures in front of the many festive decorations scattered throughout the plaza.  We picked up our swag bags and hats, bumping into a few runner friends from home, then made our way to the race corral. 


Photo courtesy of GameFace & the Ugly Sweater Run
“Snow” was falling as the announcer released the first few heats of ugly-sweater-wearing runners.  The feeling all around was festive and merry!  Cole was chomping at the bit to start running...and I gently reminded him that three miles was a long way.  “We need to pace ourselves buddy!”  It didn’t take too long for us to have to slow to a walk and begin the run/walk cycle to get us through the course.  Reining in my own personal frustration not to be running, I encouraged Cole to set his own pace and listen to his body.  He happily chatted throughout the streets of downtown Grand Rapids.  By the end, his little legs were weary, but he powered through straight to the finish.  So proud of my little guy! 

Ultimately, my goal of running with my son was achieved.  It wasn’t fast.  But it was a meaningful experience for both of us.  It kicked off our holiday season perfectly.  
Photo courtesy of GameFace & the Ugly Sweater Run





PS...he still wants to be a runner...perhaps this spring and summer will hold more mother & son runs together.


Still smiling!


No comments:

Post a Comment