Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Counting Blessings and Taking Stock

The proverbial rush of the holiday season has died down for me now that I am on Christmas Break from my teaching position...and my running is going on a brief hiatus due to an overuse injury (shin splints).  Having met my yearly mileage goal of 1,000 miles last weekend, I am giving myself a small break to heal and reflect...but not without having a few last group runs to celebrate, despite my injury and gimpiness.  (Yes...I’ve joined another running group...more on that in a future post!)

Festive running apparel, complete with lights!
Monday night found me with a small group of dedicated Michigan runners braving cold rain, wind, and two passes over a drawbridge at night.  (I have found running over this drawbridge on a walkway wide enough for only one person and only six inches and a railing between me and traffic at night to be epically thrilling!) This fast-paced group has a ‘get-it-done’ mentality that matches my own training philosophy.   

Tuesday, I joined Run Muskegon for a Sweaty Santa holiday run complete with festive running gear and Christmas lights.  I had been keeping an eye out for brightly decorated houses along our running routes to make as destinations for the group the past few weeks.  The anticipation of this group outing brought out the youth in me as I prepared to done my holiday apparel...complete with tinsel garland, lights, and jingle bells.  I figured running in the dark required reflective gear and lights of some kind...why not make it festive for tonight?

Run Muskegon crew
Cheers to running friendships!
Afterward, the Run Muskegon group convened at our watering hole, Pigeon Hill Brewery, for a pint, some pizza, and cookies.  While the group has grown and changed in the year I have been a part of it, I am profoundly thankful for the friendships that have been forged through our love of running.  As I spend today icing and stretching, I am given the opportunity to count the many blessings running has brought into my life (and my son’s as well).  There are individuals and families that are dear friends, no longer mere acquaintances, and whose friendship extends well beyond worn out shoes and training plans.  I am beyond glad that I chose to continue to be a part of a run group...because there was a brief period I considered going back to solo running exclusively (due in part to personal conflicts).   This choice also led me to seek out another running group, Grand Haven Running Club, where I will continue to create new ties with more runners who are even more dedicated and crazy than I am about running.  

Life is funny.  I feel a bit like a phoenix rising who has been rising from the ashes for a few years now...smoldering, still singed around the edges from lingering fires and flare ups...but still rising, overcoming, growing.  And all with the help of family, friends, and running partners...so many blessings.

Merry Christmas!  Happy Holidays!  Run happy and often!  From one runner to many, many other...



No comments:

Post a Comment