Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sweet 16: Marathon Training

The process of marathon training is not one for the faint of heart or lacking motivation.  This task requires a lengthy commitment and dedication that will challenge and test any runner.  I knew this when I began training for my first marathon on the heels of my 25K in May.  My 18 week marathon training plan was going to push me to mileage and extended paces I had never attempted before.  

The Sweet 16 Route
Running six days a week, with two quality workouts, I wrapped up my eleventh week this morning, and I must say, it was a very different my most of my training runs.  Not only did I run the first of three 16 mile runs, but I raced my first back to back races ever in the Grand Haven Coast Guard Festival run (I did the 5K and 10K).
Leading up to this long run, I have been combating loneliness on most of my runs.  There aren’t many local runners who want to join me on my quality workouts (speed and tempo runs) at my pace...and I don’t blame them.  Sweating it out for eight or more miles as the mercury climbs and the humidity thickens is not what I’d call fun.  But the work must be done, and I must do it.  So far I have varied my routes as much as I can within the limits of childcare arrangements and taken to listening to the backlog of podcasts on my iPhone.  I have longed for company on my long, easy runs.  

As an attempt to lure other runners to join me for a stretch of what is one of my longest runs in my training plan, I decided to change up my route and run around Muskegon Lake.  I checked the distance, following the Lakeshore Bike path, beginning at one side of the channel around to the other side.  The distance was the 16 miles that was penciled into my training log.  Next step...find some others willing to get up and brave the warm morning.  I threw the invite out to my run groups, hoping that my easy pace of 8:30ish would be tempting for a few.  
Starting Point: Steven & I at the Muskegon Lighthouse and South Pier Head.

Only my boyfriend Steve joined me for the entire distance (he is in the earlier weeks of a marathon training plan), but we picked up a several other local runners for varying distances along the way.  Their smiles, hellos, and conversations helped the miles fly by in quick little chunks.  Catching up with Alana, Heidi, Colin, and Shawn was a bonus to the sunny, long miles around Muskegon Lake.  With them also came offers of ice water (yes please!), sunscreen, body glide, gels, and words of encouragement.  (Side note:  Heidi, Colin, and Shawn all ran the Kalamazoo Marathon this past spring.)  

Heidi, me, and Alana during the first six miles.
Colin and Shawn joined me at the half way point in North Muskegon
Finished!  We made it around to the other side!
As Steve and I approached Muskegon State Park, we were greeted by a breathtaking view of Lake Michigan.  “Hello my friend,” Steve said as we made our way over the last of the backwood dune hills and into the state park.  Until this run, I had never been in this part of the park before.  I was stunned by the beauty of the dunescape that surrounded us:  gently rolling dunes blanketed with marram grass, patches of milkweed and other native flowers dotting the roadside, a calm and majestic water as far as the eye could see.  Carlo and Sofia awaited us at the end of our sweet 16 miles with water and smiles.  

I couldn’t be happier about how my highest mileage week yet ended:  a wonderful long, slow run.  





Steve, me, Jack, Sofia, and Carlo before we headed home!

No comments:

Post a Comment